Friday, October 31, 2008

Forgotten Books: PREACHER -- Ted Thackrey, Jr.

This is a book that has a lot going for it. You get a sermon, a mystery, poker games and lore, a hero who's a former priest, a corrupt small town in the American southwest, a noirish sensibility, and some darn good writing. So why's the book forgotten? Don't ask me. It's not even available from any of the usual sources on the Internet, though you can pick up copies of Thackrey's nonfiction titles like Gambling Secrets of Nick the Greek and the sequel to Preacher, King of Diamonds (though it's not cheap). If you happen to run across Preacher, it would be well worth your time to pick it up. After you read it, maybe you could sell it on eBay. I'm keeping my copy, though.

There's some very interesting stuff about Thackrey here.

Update: I should have looked more carefully. It's easily available, and it's cheap.

9 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

That cover calls.

Anonymous said...

Not to be confused with the Garth Ennis comic book series Preacher (although you really should read that too if you haven't).

Juri said...

Maybe you didn't find it, Bill, because you wrote "Thackery", but the cover says "Thackrey". (Myself, I know nothing about this author, but it sounds good [but maybe not 'metival', as the word verification suggest].)

Unknown said...

That would explain it, Juri. I'll make the correction.

Anonymous said...

Also "Aces & Eights" - another rattling good yarn in The Preacher tradition...

Anonymous said...

Simply love this book. Excellent pulp.

Lee Goldberg said...

Brash Books will be republishing THE PREACHER and the sequels in 2015.

JennyO said...

Nice.
I have just started reading Bill Crider's books about Dan Rhodes, and now I find that
1. Bill Crider enjyed Preacher, a book I borrowed and read many years ago, and have been looking for ever since i returned it to its owner (who threw it out!).
2. The book read like a series book, and there is a sequel!!! And it will be published soon.

Me like!

Unknown said...

Yes, Brash books will be bringing out both books. And keep reading my books, too. The sheriff and I need all the help we can get.