Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Getting Dark Outside, . . .

. . . and the wind's started to blow a lot harder.  So it's beginning.  We have a long 24 hours ahead of us, I'm afraid.  I don't know when the power will go off, but if it's still on a bit later, I'll put up another little post.  I don't expect it to last much longer, though.

We bought double-paned storm windows a few years ago, so we're protected (to a degree) against the high winds.  I'm pretty sure the windows won't stop a tree limb, though.  Also, we have a "green room" out back, and the windows there are just basic contractor quality.  They're in danger.  

Since Alvin is 20-25 miles from the coast and sitting at an elevation of 43 feet, I don't think we're in any danger from the storm surge, which appears set to become one of history-making proportions.  Flooding might be a problem if we get a ton of rain, but supposedly that won't happen.  Ten to fifteen inches, maybe, which is a lot, but not a severe danger.  I hope.

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and good wishes.  It's been an interesting month so far.  The big wedding last weekend, and the big hurricane this weekend.  I can do without all the excitement, especially the hurricane part.

Two of the cats wanted to go out and have a look at things, so we let them into the garage, where they're sitting atop one of the cars.  Sam, on the other hand, is asleep on the treadmill in the green room.  He loves to sleep there.  I've been sorely tempted more than once to turn it on and see what happens, but so far I've resisted.

5 comments:

Victor Gischler said...

If a wimp like me can survive a hurricane, so can you guys. Hang in there.

VG

Unknown said...

Wimp? You survived four days without electricity. No way Judy's going to do that.

Anonymous said...

I'm in west Houston, just outside the beltway. The winds are picking up now, but only in gusts. We've done all we can do. Time for hunkering.

Good luck, Bill, and stay safe.

Unknown said...

You, too, Scott. Fingers crossed.

Cap'n Bob said...

I have every confidence that you can take this little gust in stride, just as you have the more serious challenges you've had over the past couple of years. Enjoy the book, but keep the candles handy.