Saturday, August 13, 2005

Another Great Stark House Double

I can't say enough good things about Stark House. Greg Shepard, the publisher, is reprinting some great old books that you can't find easily. And sometimes when you can find them, they've very expensive. But here you get two novels in one volume for under twenty bucks.

But wait! There's more! Along with two Day Keene novels under one cover, the edition pictured to the left also has an introduction by Ed Gorman.
Is that a bargain, or what?

I've mentioned my affection for Day Keene's work before, and it happens that I read My Flesh is Sweet only last summer (comments are here). I haven't read Framed in Guilt in years (I think it's a Graphic pb, but I'm too lazy to look), but I remember that it's an excellent example of Keene's storytelling abilities. Ed says that "it's in some ways [Keene's] best Cornell Woolrich 'alcoholic dread' book." So you know you need a copy. Get one soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time you post a blog... er, I mean, "magazine item" about a book, I'm compelled to buy it. So when the Bride complains, I'm going to be sending her your way.

Juri said...

It was actually a hardcover from Mill in 1949. "Framed in Guilt" was Keene's first novel.

So you stated a lie in your so-called magazine. Watch out!

Unknown said...

Juri, notice my clever qualifier, "I think . . . ." So it's not quite a lie.

Juri said...

If not you saying "I think" is a lie, then I'll drop the issue. :P