Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Valentines

What's up with Valentines? I went to my personal Valentine supplier (Wal-Mart) yesterday, and I discovered that practically every single Valentine card for sale is "personalized." I went over to the next aisle and looked at the birthday cards. Same thing. It's next to impossible to find just a plain card. I mean, they've even got cards that say, "To my great grandnephew." Don't they know that "personalization" like that is really about as impersonal as you can get? Or maybe it's just me.

It's also hard to find a card that's not so sugary that diabetics have to touch them with rubber gloves. Stuff like "Wifey dear/my life was drear/till I met you/and twixt we two/a great love grew." Who sends cards like that? Or maybe I'm just a crochety old fart.

3 comments:

Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

thats why I bought the Lord Of The Rings valantines....

jon jordan

Anonymous said...

My favorite valentines were those we gave as kids, they came in a box and were simply fun little hearts and cartoons, suitable to give anyone. Of course you brought one for every other kid, and no one went home without. To me that expresses best an unconditional sort of, and very personal, love. Even the kid no one would sneeze at because he might beat them up after school got one. :)

Bill, I've added you to my bloglist, at Mystery of a Shrinking Violet.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Barbara. I've returned the favor.