Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving

I don't know the date on this photo.  It was Thanksgiving, though, back when that was a big day for my family.  Looks like 1989, maybe.  

Too many people in the picture are no longer around, and this year I'm spending Thanksgiving in a hospital room with Judy and our kids.  Judy's been fighting her cancer for almost 8 years now, but she and the doctors have held it at bay.  At the moment it's really trying to get the upper hand.  I'm going to try to keep on doing the blog for a while, but I won't be having much to say in the comments.  If things go dark around here, you'll know why.  Everybody has to go through times like these, and I've been through them with too many of the people in the picture not to know that.  It never gets any easier, though.  It just seems to get harder, at least for me.  I'm still holding out hope for a miracle here, but sometimes miracles don't arrive when you need them.

Don't get the idea I'm not thankful today.  I'm thankful for every person in that picture: my parents, Judy's parents, my kids, my brother and my sister and their kids.  And especially for Judy.  I don't know what would've happened to me if I hadn't met and married her.  Just about everything I've accomplished in my life, however little that is, would never have happened without her.  My Thanksgiving wish is that she'll be here to help me out for many years to come.  I'm also thankful for all of you blog readers and friends, too.  You've helped me more than you know.  If you have any miracles up your sleeves, send them this way.

8 comments:

Jerry House said...

I don't have any miracles on hand, Bill. What I do have are good thoughts and prayers for you and Judy. You both have a lot of friends pulling for you and I hope our strength and love will help the both of you through these difficult times and on to much better times.

Ed Gorman said...

If there was an ap for miracles I'd send it to you instantly. What a moving post, Bill. You and Judy are such wonderful people.

Deb said...

So, so sorry things haven't worked out as successfully as we were all hoping... Prayers and positive thoughts for you and Judy. Take care.

Tom Johnson said...

This is really a hard time for all of you right now, Bill, and especially during Thanksgiving holiday. We're still praying that Judy recovers, and beats this cancer. God willing. We're all pulling for a full recovery!

Anonymous said...

I only wish we did. We're not giving up either. It's been incredibly tough for you guys but you've both hung in there with amazing grace and courage.

Jeff & Jackie

Fred Blosser said...

Best wishes to Casa Crider -- you and Judy clearly have a lot of good people rooting for you.

Rick Robinson said...

Bill and Judy, you've been in a long difficult fight, my admiration for you both knows no limit. I can't imagine how tough this is for you both, you have our deepest, strongest wishes for things to be better. Virtual hugs, strong, loving ones, to you both.

Rick and Barbara

Cap'n Bob said...

I don't know how both of you maintained your sanity through it all. Judy has shown us what courage means, and you an eternal patience. If anyone deserves a miracle, it's that dear lady and her devoted family.