Monday, August 15, 2011

Soon I Will Be Invincible -- Austin Grossman

I'm not sure how to describe this book other than to say it's a novel about superheroes and supervillains whose resemblance to those you might have seen in comic books is purely intentional. It's narrated in alternating chapters by Doctor Impossible, a supervillain, and Fatale, a new member of the superhero team The New Champions.

The novel opens with Dr. Impossible in prison, having failed for the 12th time to achieve world domination. He escapes to try again, knowing down deep in his heart that he'll fail. But he has to try because he suffers from malign hypercognition disorder. Or because he's the new Sysiphus. I report, you decide.

Meanwhile CoreFire, the world's foremost superhero is missing and presumed dead, so the New Champions are formed to try to recapture Dr. Impossible, whom they suspect is responsible.

Villians, for some reason, are more fun to read about than heroes, and Dr. Impossible is a lot of fun. The chapters from Fatale's point of view are less successful, at least for me, but they're still okay. There are a number of twists, some of which you'll see coming, I'm sure, but I got a lot of laughs from Soon I Will Be Invincible. I don't know what comics fans think of it, but I'm sure they got more of the in-jokes than I did. You should check it out and see what you think.

2 comments:

Scott Cupp said...

I enjoyed this one a great deal

Howard Carter said...

Yes, I pushed this one hard in our book group. I actually liked the Fatale sections a lot. Less humor, but a bit more grounded.