Saturday, January 29, 2011

30 Years!

And I almost forgot to celebrate. Yes, it's been 30 years since The Coyote Connection was published back in January of 1981. A prophetic novel in its own way, though of course nobody looks to the Nick Carter books for prophecy. It was about Middle Eastern terrorists being smuggled into the U. S. from Mexico, their goal being to assassinate members of congress. Or I think that's what it was about. It's been 30 years, after all. And stuff like that couldn't happen, though I was reminded of it by this article.

Jack Davis and I collaborated on the novel, which is marred by some weird typos of a character's name in the beginning. They get corrected as the book goes along. I still love the cover, especially Nick's great sideburns. I would never have guessed that I'd still be writing books after 30 years had gone by. I doubt that anyone else would have, either, but here I am. And to borrow a phrase from Robert Hunter and the Grateful dead, what a long, strange trip it's been.

5 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

And there have been scores of fine books since. Congrats on the anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Other than the typos on the first page (which probably make it more valuable!) this is a classic. I've always thought the cover was taken from one of Bill's high school pictures. Love the sideburns!

Jeff

James Reasoner said...

It can't be that long ago! I remember buying a copy at a newsstand in Fort Worth. Congrats!

George said...

Congratulations! Keep writing!!

Paul Bishop said...

Congrats! It's been almost that long since I was writing Diamondback westerns...