Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's Calder Willingham's Birthday

Calder Willingham (1922-1995) is one of those writers most people have forgotten, but I remember him well. That's because in 1963 I read a book of his called Eternal Fire. I was highly impressed, and I still have that old paperback on my shelves. At the time I didn't know about his movie work, including the screenplay for Paths of Glory (which had some punching up by Jim Thompson, as I recall) and One-Eyed Jacks (which I suspect had some additions by Marlon Brando). He also collaborated with Buck Henry on the screenplay for The Graduate.

6 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Rambling Rose, right? Brilliant.

Unknown said...

That's another one that's up there on my shelves.

Ed Gorman said...

Among Willingham's earliest novels were two remarkable books--End As A Man and Geraldine Bradshaw, the latter being one of my favorite rite-of-passage love stories.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the screenplay for LITTLE BIG MAN. A great book by Thomas Berger, and a classic film with Calder at the screenplay wheel. Joe Lansdale

Unknown said...

I didn't know about that one.

Anonymous said...

one eyed jacks i think got crappy reviews but i consider it one of the great sleepers in the movie roster of sleepers.