Sunday, June 17, 2007

Top 10 Science Fiction Novelists of the '00s -- So Far

I've read books by only four of these writers. While I may read books by some of the other, I probably won't. I liked at least three of the four to read other books by them (one of those is the "bonus" writer, whose work I first read long ago). But for the most part I don't connect with contemporary hard science fiction. Probably I'm too dumb to get the "big" concepts or to understand some of the science. I guess I'll stick to Murray Leinster.

blog.pmarca.com: Top 10 science fiction novelists of the '00s -- so far: "We are blessed so far this decade with an amazing crop of new science fiction novelists.

Writing in a variety of styles, this crew is arguably more insightful, more interesting, higher intensity, and bolder than many (but not all!) of their predecessors -- and in my view revitalizing the genre at a time when more new technologies that will radically reshape all our lives are incubating and percolating than ever before.

So, taking nothing away from authors like David Brin who have long been established and continue to produce top-notch work, here are my nominations for the top 10 new science fiction novelists of -- more or less -- the decade, plus one bonus."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--now I know I'm a geezer. I still think I'm hip for reading (and admiring) John Varley!

Ed Gorman

Anonymous said...

While Varley was the Weinbaum of my golden age (of 13)...it's indicative of my current skewed experience of the field that if the folks have written a fair amount of short fiction, as Marusek has brilliantly, I've read them...if not, not so much...