Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Mother of Mercy, Could This Be the End of Billo?

I heard from my agent today that he's going to "semi-retire." What this means is that he'll continue to work with my backlist but that he won't be handling any new projects.

I'm not exactly sure what effect this will have on my future in the writing game. I turned in a book on November 1, and I have one book left to write on a two-book contract with St. Martin's, so of course I'll do that one. After that, it's anybody's guess. I've had a good run, and maybe this is a sign I should hang up the old keyboard. I hate the thought of having to find a new agent and start all over again. I have several little projects I'd like to find representation for, but I'm feeling pretty ignorant and apathetic about what will happen, as in "I don't know and I don't care."

Sadly, my agent didn't mention Lindsay Lohan's nipples.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, Is your ageny with an agency? If so, isn't there another person at that agency that can take care of your work? Can't your agency make a recommendation? I hear you on hunting for a new one (I'm still looking for my first!) but you can't hang it up without a fight.

Unknown said...

My agent had his own agency, and he was the only guy. I'll have to think a while about what I'll do. I'm still kind of in shock.

Gerald So said...

Best of luck, Bill, whatever you decide.

Anonymous said...

Bill, I really hope that you find a new agent and continue to write. I'm sure there are many people who look forward to each and every book you write, and want to read about the next adventure of Dan, Carl, Sally, and Truman (if we're lucky).
I know that I can't wait to read your next Dan Rhodes book!
Take Care and Happy Thanksgiving!

Cap'n Bob said...

If you weren't such a good writer you could have titled this "Mother of Mercy, Could This Be the End of Reeko?"

Losing an agent can be like losing a family member, and I'm sorry to hear it. On the other hand, I feel sure a dozen agents are lining up to fill the void. I hear Tom Crusie's sister needs a job.

Unknown said...

Wow, I'd better call Tom's sister right now, before she signs up some lesser talent.

Anonymous said...

Noooo, sob, boo hoo, you CAN'T quit! Where will I find books to read that make me laugh out loud (and nearly get me kicked out of the hospital waiting room?) Whose website/blog will I cast worshipful glances at? WHO???

Seriously, hoping for you to find an agent. Maybe someone will see your plight on this blog? I can't imagine a good, smart agent wouldn't jump at the chance to represent you.

Unknown said...

I'm getting over my shock and starting to make some plans. I always get worked up when I'm surprised, and usually I recover fairly quickly. It may take a little longer this time, but I'm probably not quitting quite yet.

Anonymous said...

I think Drew Rosenhaus may be looking for new clients.

Art Scott

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Talked to Drew Baby. He says he's taking only former cheerleaders at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Do NOT hang up your keyboard, for cryin' out loud. With your record, why do you even need an agent? There must be publishers who would love to publish your work. Invite them to make you an offer!