Friday, June 23, 2017

The German POWs Who Lived, Worked and Loved in Texas

The German POWs Who Lived, Worked and Loved in Texas  

There was a camp located a couple of miles outside of Mexia, Texas.  Old folks still remember seeing them get off the train and being marched to the camp.  I was too young to see it, although I've heard the stories so often that I sometimes believe I was there.  Many of them worked on the farms around town, and memorabilia from that era (envelopes and such) turns up on eBay often.  Some of the old buildings still exist.

2 comments:

August West said...

I never knew. Reminded me of when my American History teacher in HS mentioned how thousands of Germans fought on the side of the British in the American Revolution and how a great many decided to stay in our new country after the war was over.

Cap'n Bob said...

Those were the Hessians, August. They were mercenaries.