Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Overlooked Movies: John Wick

John Wick slipped into theaters a few months ago, and it didn't stay long.  It grossed $43 million in the U.S.  These days that's not a lot of money.  If you're one of the millions who didn't see it, you might want to check it out on video, because it's a terrific action movie.

In fact, it's just about all action after the first few minutes.  Keanu Reeves is John Wick, a former hit man, now retired.  His wife dies, and he's very sad (I could identify; this part was pretty tough to watch).  A puppy, a posthumous gift from her, arrives.  The bad guys beat up Reeves and kill the puppy.  After that, it's vengeance time.  The action never lets up as John Wick gets back in the game.  You don't kill his puppy and walk away unscathed, and you don't try to stop him when he's out for revenge.

The movie has a high body count.  I believe I read that Wick kills 75 people.  Give or take.  That's also about the number of words Wick speaks in the movie, which works great since Keanu Reeves is the star.  Action is everything, and the choreography is great.

I read today that there will be a sequel.  I was surprised, given the box office figures.  Also, I don't know where they can go with the character that they haven't already been, but I'll probably see it.  For now, though, I recommend this one to anybody who's looking for a pure adrenaline ride.

12 comments:

George said...

JOHN WICK opened and closed here in a week. But, maybe this film will find its audience on DVD. Like you, I'm surprised there's a sequel in the works.

Unknown said...

We haven't overlooked it over here in the UK yet as it isn't released in cinemas until April (unless delayed again).

Unknown said...

I wonder why it hasn't been shown there. Here's hoping it does open in April.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Bill, we're with you on this one. Even in New York it came and went in the blink of an eye, but since it got a good rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Jackie had it on her "see" list and we rented it a few weeks ago. I agree with your review start to finish. Once moron killed the puppy you knew there was no going back. I'd read there was a sequel. We would definitely see it.

I also liked that it was filmed largely on the streets of New York.

Jeff

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I think it was less than a week here in DFW. We enjoyed it when it came out on DVD.

A sequel would be cool.

Unknown said...

I saw an interview with the directors, who said they wouldn't kill another puppy. Maybe.

Mel Odom said...

I LOVED the choreography. And there was some nice worldbuilding too, like the hotel where the killers could stay--if they didn't kill anyone on the premises.

Unknown said...

I like that, too, Mel. They did a lot of things right.

Graham Powell said...

There were some good parts but I wanted more. Not action; there was plenty of that. But maybe a couple more twists and turns.

Unknown said...

Gotta admit that it just went from point A to point B. Didn't care, though.

Fred Zackel said...

Wait until you see what the bad guys do next to his cat!!

lastromantic49 said...

It was definitely a ride!