Friday, August 03, 2012

Forgotten Books: Champs and Bums -- Bucklin Moon, Editor

Recently there's been a little bit of a revival of interest in boxing fiction, so this little collection should find some readers even now. Like last week's "Forgotten Book," this one has no intros, no nothing -- other than the stories, of course.

Check out the ToC. Names that are very familiar to me are probably forgotten authors now. Saroyan used to be a staple in high school textbooks. Any bets that he's represented now? How about that John Huston? This might be the only anthology I own that has a story by him. The Hemingway story used to appear in a lot of anthologies, but even Hemingway is slipping away from us now, I think.

You could do a lot worse for your money than this anthology, and copies on the 'Net aren't all that expensive. If you like the Sweet Science, check it out.




3 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Saroyan's "Seventy Thousand Assyrians" still gets some play, but I suspect most of the rest, not so much.

Paul Bishop said...

Way cool! Thx, Bill ... I'd missed this one. Have to find me a copy ...

Blackie Noir said...

Great! The search begins. Thanks, Bill.