Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Overlooked Films -- Mr. Brooks

Here's another one of those movies that nobody seemed to like except me, but I liked it a lot.

Kevin Costner is Mr. Brooks, his town's Citizen of the Year. Little does everyone know that while his presents an outward facade of good will and friendliness, he harbors a dark side, a really dark side, represented my William Hurt as Marshall. Soon enough, the killings begin, and if you don't think Demi Moore can act, take a look at her performance as a cop in this one. Excellent work, but then Kostner and Hurt are just as good, and so is Dane Cook as a guy who would like to be Mr. Brooks. Not the good one. The other one.

Some great dialogue, some amusing moments, and an entertaining picture as a whole. It was clearly set up to be the first of a series, but like some other movies I've enjoyed, it didn't make enough money to interest anyone in a follow-up. Too bad, from my point of view.

9 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

This was one scary little film. I don't think people were ready to see Costner as a villain. Maybe now.

Todd Mason said...

Actually, a lot of people who tended to dismiss Costner by this point were surprised how much they liked this film. (I've only seen bits of it so far, yet another film I tend to see is on after it's been running for a half hour...)

Unknown said...

Costner shouldn't be dismissed. I guess I'll do another of his films next week.

Rick Ollerman said...

I like Costner and wanted to see this film but Demi Moore as a co-star killed it for me. Her lack of acting ability, to me, has outweighed the charisma I've always found in Costner. I've never understood how or why Moore ever became famous or how Costner became often vilified.

Unknown said...

Moore's good in this.

Anonymous said...

When this opened it got pretty decent reviews here but (of course) we missed it and I'd forgotten that I wanted to see it.

Jeff

MP said...

I loved this movie, and so did the few people I managed to talk into seeing it. For another good Costner movie virtually nobody has seen, try "The Upside of Anger".

MP said...

I loved this movie, and so did the few people I managed to talk into seeing it. For another good Costner movie virtually nobody has seen, try "The Upside of Anger".

Ronald Tierney said...

I agree. I paired Mr. Brooks and Seven for last Friday night's double feature recommendation. The Gruesome Twosome.