Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sports Story of the Day

BostonHerald.com: "Gil Meche, an everyman starting pitcher with an 84-83 record after 10 big-league seasons, made a louder statement with his recent decision to retire than he ever did on the mound. He walked away from the $12 million he was due in the last year of his contract because he didn’t think he had enough good pitches left in his ailing right shoulder to justify being the Royals’ highest paid player.'

'I’m not really fulfilling what I thought I needed to do when I signed,' Meche told reporters. 'The Royals have done enough for me.'"

2 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

I remember him when he was with the Mariners. Started out well and faltered.

Patrick Murtha said...

Here's the insanity; The Royals offered a $55 million, five-year contract to a spotty pitcher with a history of arm injuries and other health troubles going back to high school, who missed the entire 2001 and 2002 seasons because of two major surgeries, and whose lifetime record at the time they signed him was 55-44. I would have taken their $12 million for 2011, just to punish them for their stupidity.