Friday, January 15, 2010

Forgotten Books: STONE M.I.A. HUNTER: MIAMI WAR ZONE -- Jack Buchanan

Okay, the truth is that this book's not entirely forgotten, and that's why I'm writing about it. I ran across a reference to it an another book. Almost as soon as I started reading the reference work, I ran across this comment: ". . . the MIA Hunter and his team do more damage to the drug trade in a week than the DEA had done in many years."

Indeed. And I'm proud to have had a part in doing that damage. Back in the late '80s, Steve Mertz invited me to write a few of the M.I.A. Hunter books based on his outlines. One of them was Miami War Zone, and seeing it mentioned in print reminded me of just how much fun it was to write those fast-moving tales of rugged adventure. Lots of action, shooting, and explosions. I wrote several in the series, and it would be hard to pick a favorite, though this one stands out in my memory.


Joe Lansdale wrote a couple of these books, too, as did Mike Newton. They turn up in used-book stores quite often, and you can buy them on-line for a buck.

My review of Serial Vigilantes, the reference work cited above, will be posted in a day or so.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I missed that one, Bill. I do have "Jack Buchanan"'s DESERT DEATH RAID and BACK TO 'NAM, both inscribed of course.

Not that I've read either one yet, but RSN.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

OK, I ordered it. Are there any others I missed that you wrote?

I also have three written by Joe Lansdale (also unread).

Jeff

Evan Lewis said...

Now that you've told us, do you have to kill us?

Unknown said...

I leave the killing to Stone, Even. Watch your back.

Jeff, I also did Desert Death Trek and Back to 'Nam.

Unknown said...

Okay, Jeff. I missed that first comment. Do you have the Tunnel Rats book?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have THE TUNNEL RATS by "Cliff Banks" too.

Jeff

Stephen B. said...

Remind me MORE than a little of RAMBO (Morrell book from the film) or maybe that was the inspiration. I think. I have a couple of the Lansdale ones on my shelf but I missed hearing about some from you, Mr Crider!
Until now.

Stephen B. said...

seems to be Back to 'Nam (#14)
and Desert Death RAID (#12); is that correct...

Fred Blosser said...

Hunting for MIAs in ... Miami??

Unknown said...

Stephen, that's correct.

Fred, you never know what you'll find in Miami.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I wish I'd find me in Miami. Right about now. Thanks, Bill.

Dale said...

I read all of those books years ago when I found out Joe wrote some of them. I could sure tell a difference in the writing of the different books. I bet it was the ones that you and Joe wrote that I liked the best.

Dale

Unknown said...

If not, let's pretend that those were the ones.

Anonymous said...

I've got 1-16 of this series. What I've read so far is great fun. Could you possibly go into more detail about how this series came about? Was it made just to compete with Mack Bolan books? Did all the authors develop the characters and plots together and then split up? Who wrote what? Who painted the covers and who was the model for Stone? Thanks.

Unknown said...

Steve Mertz created the series and did the outlines for the books. I have no idea about the cover art. When I started doing them, I read one of the ones written by Joe Lansdale. (He wrote three of them. They're listed in the Wikipedia article about Joe.) I picked up a couple of catch-phrases from Joe and used them in my books. Mike Newton also wrote some of them. That's about all the info I have.