Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fracture

Essentially a cat-and-mouse game between Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling, Fracture works pretty well for the most part. I don't believe I've seen Gosling before, but he gives a fine performance, and Hopkins is as good as usual

Hopkins plays a man who murders his wife, dictates and signs a confession, and defends himself at his trial. He dares Gosling, the prosecuting attorney, to prove his guilt. Hopkins is a game-player, and a good one. It appears that Gosling doesn't have a chance. Rather than say more and spoil your fun, I'll leave it at that.

Judy and I both enjoyed the movie, but we thought it had one major plot flaw. So do others I've heard from. I didn't really care, but it did bother me just a little bit. I also thought a romantic relationship between Gosling and Rosamund Pike was an unnessary subplot, though Pike's very attractive.

8 comments:

Benjie said...

I'm confused. Is Gosling the defense or prosecuting attorney? Or is Hopkins defending himself?

Unknown said...

Oops. Hopkins is defending himself, and Gosling is the prosecutor. I'll have to fix that.

Ray Banks said...

I liked it a lot better when it was a Columbo episode that I may have not actually seen, but dreamed.

Anonymous said...

Gosling is fantastic in Half Nelson.

Unknown said...

I've heard good things about LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, too.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Ditto. Gosling in Half Nelson. And Lars is good too. Not too many actors could pull that off. A sweet movie and not what you expect.

Anonymous said...

So Bill, what was the major plot flaw? I saw the movie and seem to recall being annoyed by one, but I can't remember now what it was (other than the predictability of the "surprise" ending, which I saw coming quite early on).

Unknown said...

SPOILER ALERT: At the end of the movie, Gosling has the pistol at last. But didn't the dead cop already switch the pistol and ballistics evidence?