Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Robert Goulet, R. I. P.

The thing I think of every time I hear Goulet's name is that he's the guy who caused Elvis Presley to shoot his TV screen. I suspect that won't get into a lot of the obits, and it may not even be true, but I've always liked the story.

Bloomberg.com: Muse: "Oct. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Robert Goulet, the singer whose rich baritone voice and classic tall, dark, dashing good looks made him a star on stage and television, has died. He was 73.

Goulet suffered from a rare form of pulmonary fibrosis, a progressive and fatal condition. He was being treated at Cedars- Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and was awaiting a lung transplant when he died yesterday, the Associated Press reported."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard the Elvis story, Bill, but I do remember years ago - and as Dave Barry would say I swear I'm not making this up - he got pulled over for riding around with his kid[s] in the trunk of his car.

He said it was their idea...

Unknown said...

I, for one, believe you. And him.

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I mentioned the King popping a few caps in his TV set in my Goulet obit, too, Bill--great minds think alike!

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember that.

Writeprocrastinator said...

I thought Wayne Newton was the reason Elvis shot his TV. I understand that the King also shot his DeTomasso Pantera.