Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Doug Marlette, R. I. P.

I've read "Kudzu" for years. This guy was good, and I'll miss him.

Cartoonist Doug Marlette killed in crash - Yahoo! News
RALEIGH, N.C. - Doug Marlette, the North Carolina-born cartoonist who won a Pulitzer Prize and created the popular strip "Kudzu," was killed in a car accident Tuesday morning in Mississippi, authorities said. He was 57.

Marlette, who joined the Tulsa (Okla.) World last year, was the passenger in the car, which struck a tree after skidding on a rain-slicked road, said John Garrison, the coroner in Mississippi's Marshall County.

"Evidently, it hydroplaned, left the highway and struck the tree," Garrison said.

Marlette's editorial cartoons and his strip, "Kudzu," are syndicated worldwide. The "Kudzu" strip deals humorously with rural Southern life, featuring characters such as the Rev. Will B. Dunn.


Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hydroplaning. Damn.

JD Rhoades said...

Oh, no.

Oh, no.

I LOVE his work.

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I always felt Doug wielded a mighty editorial cartoon pen, but I just never could warm up to Kudzu. Give me Pogo any day of the week.