Friday, March 04, 2005

Captain Midnight


Thrilling Days of Yesteryear : "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be." -- Peter DeVries

I hope you're all following the thrilling adventures of Captain Midnight as Ivan over at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear describes them day by day. If not, give 'em a try. Great fun. I don't know if the Captain wears the cool outfit in the serial, and I don't know if the blonde (Joyce of the Secret Squadron) is in it.

As it happens, I'm watching Daredevils of the Red Circle, myself, but so far I'm up to only Chapter Two. It's all Ivan's fault that I bought this serial, because he mentioned it on his blog, but I'm glad I did. It's a very good one so far. Maybe I'll have a few things to say later, but I don't have the energy, as Ivan does, to give a running commentary.
Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Frank Denton said...

I just watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow over the last two evenings. That's pretty close to the sense of wonder that we had as kids. Migosh, a P-47 that flies underwater and giant mechanical men and a space ship that's shaped like it is supposed to be. Maybe I'll watch it again.

Unknown said...

I'm happy that someone besides me liked SKY CAPTAIN. Maybe you have to be an old guy like you and me to like it.

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Captain Midnight does wear the cool outfit, and the amusing thing about this serial is that during the course of the cliffhanger, everybody pretty much figures out that Captain Albright and Captain Midnight are one and the same--yet he still wears the costume. Go figure.

Joyce is also in the serial, although she's undergone a name change--her surname was "Ryan" on radio, but here it's "Edwards." They made the change in order for her to be the daughter of one of the other characters--John Edwards, the inventor of this range finder that the bad guys are trying to get ahold of. But she's not blond--she's a brunette, and is played by Dorothy Short who, quite frankly, isn't too impressive in the part. (She was married, however, to actor-writer-stuntman Dave O'Brien who plays the title role--so we obviously have a severe case of rank nepotism on display.)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, Ivan. The female lead in DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE is, as I'm sure you know, Carole Landis, one of Hollywood's sad stories. She's terribly underused, at least in the first four episodes. She could have been great if they'd given her some lines.