Friday, June 06, 2014

Forgotten Books: Kings of the Bs: Working with the Hollywood System -- Todd McCarthy & Charles Flynn, editors

If you like B-movies, you'll love this book.  I do, and I do.  It's a collection of essays and interviews.  The interviews are with the likes of Samuel Z.  Arkoff, Albert Zugsmith, William Castle, Roger Corman, Phil Karlson, Herschel Gordon Lewis, and others. The essays range from discussions of films like Thunder Road and They Live by Night to essays about "people," including Sam Katzman, Corman, Russ Meyer, and Joseph H. Lewis.  There are filmographies for 325 directors.  Sure you can find filmographies on IMDB, but it's even easier with this book.  It's a big collection, 550 pages, great for browsing or even reading straight through.  Copies are easy to come by on the Internet, and if you have any interest in the topic, you should grab one for the fun of it.

4 comments:

Bud said...

Yet another book I should have known about but didn't. Glad I'm enrolled in the Crider College of Copacetic Knowledge 8-) Thanks!

mybillcrider said...

I'm always glad to encourage someone to buy a book.

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it.

Great stuff there.

I read it - yikes! - nearly 40 years ago.

ANd stay off my lawn, whippersnapper!


Jeff

mybillcrider said...

I first read it nearly that long ago, too, Jeff. We were living in Brownwood, and I bought the book from Andy Jaysnovitch.