Tuesday, August 30, 2005

New Orleans

For a while there it almost seemed as if New Orleans was going to survive with less damage than expected. Now every new report I hear is worse than the last one, and things in Mississippi and Alabama are even worse. I get a hollow feeling inside when I think about the people who've lost their homes and possessions, and I wonder how they'll ever recover. Some of them, I'm sure, never will. Yet there's nothing I can do except give money to some relief effort. It's a sad, hopeless feeling, and I wish it would go away. I don't think it will, however, not for a while, even though we're leaving for Bouchercon tomorrow and should be feeling pretty good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Western New York will experience heavy rains in the 4-6 inch range tomorrow as what's left of Katrina blows through. There may be some flooding here, but nothing like the disaster happening in New Orleans. It will take months to restore basics like power, water, and the Internet. Crises like Katrina show how fragile life can be.

George Kelley