Thursday, July 15, 2004

For a while now, I've been writing columns on Gold Medal Books for Steve Lewis's MYSTERY*FILE. I've done articles on Day Keene, Clifton Adams, Malcolm Douglas, and John McPartland. The one I've just turned in is on John Farris, who wrote for Gold Medal as "Steve Brackeen."

I've been interested in Farris almost as long as I've been interested in being a writer, having read HARRISON HIGH way back in 1950. I was really impressed that a guy not much older than I was had written a bestselling novel, and one that I really liked. (I read it again a couple of years ago, the same old Dell paperback first printing, and I still liked it.) If I'd known that Farris was writing cime novels under a pen name at the same time, I'd have been even more impressed, if that's possible.

I wasn't doing any writing in those days except for a little adolescent poetry. I never really dreamed I could actually write a book, which seems kind of silly now that I've published so many of them (though there are no doubt those who would argue that that still hasn't proved I can write one). It took me almost twenty more years to get really serious about writing, though there were a few attempts in the interim (see earlier posts for a few words on a couple of them). And then I did it only because Jack Davis talked me into collaborating on a Nick Carter book with him. Jack's been dead a good while now, but I still owe him. I'm pretty sure I'd never have published a book without his goading me into it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Crider: Been enjoying your blog for a while now. Love any and all comments regarding HB and noir fiction. I lurk on rara avis as well. i too was intrigued when I found Farris had written crime PBO's as Steve Brackeen. I tracked down two or three, but was pretty disappointed. I'll have to try Harrison High. I am unfamiliar with Mystery*File. Is this a print magazine? Would you mind posting subscription info some time on your blog? Much appreciated. I'd also like to thank you these several years later for your Dell paperback essay from Big Book of Noir. You've been responsible for many worthwhile hours of reading--if only for the two Al Fray books I've read. Best, MTM