Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Overlooked Movies -- The Three Musketeers (Disney Version, 1993)

Return with me now to those thrilling days of yesteryear, the '90s, when Charlie Sheen wasn't a punchline, when Chris O'Donnell looked as if he might be a star, when Kiefer Sutherland didn't know that he was running out of time, when Tim Curry was . . . okay, Tim Curry's still great when it comes to villainy.  What we have here is yet another of those movies that everybody hates except me.  

I've mentioned before that I'm a sucker for any version of The Three Musketeers, and I've reviewed several of the movies about them in the past.  I like this one, too.  It was filmed in Austria, and it looks great.  Besides that, the cast seems to be having a good time, especially Oliver Platt as Porthos.  He's very funny and steals every scene he's in.  Sutherland and Sheen are good, and O'Donnell is pretty.  Not as pretty as Rebecca de Mornay as Milady, but close.  The story sort of follows the familiar framework, and there's plenty of jazzed up action (even a bit of the martial arts variety) and pounding hoofbeats.  And sword fights and daring rescues.

Sure, this movie's not going to make anybody forget the great two-parter directed by Richard Lester, but if you're still in touch with your inner 10-year-old, it's a lot of fun.  Or it was for me.  You might hate it like everybody else does.

8 comments:

George said...

I like this movie, too. But, you're right: it doesn't get much love from critics.

Unknown said...

But what do they know?

Jeff Meyerson said...

Hey, you can't go far wrong with Tim Curry, right?

Dan said...

To me, Gene Kelly will always be d'Artagnon, and Vibcent Price Richelieu. And the MGM film of 1948 also has Kirk Allyn, Tom Tyler and Marie Windsor in bit parts!

Unknown said...

That's the first one I saw, and I saw it in the theater. It's why I love the story so much. Gene Kelly is great.

Unknown said...

I'm not particularly fond of the Brat Pack edition, but I like two others that were ripped by the critics, THE MUSKETEER (2001) and THE THREE MUSKETEERS (2011).

Unknown said...

Yes, I've reviewed both of those somewhere on the blog.

piggie zee said...

I rather liked it, but I've a taste for quirky.....