Monday, October 24, 2011

Once Upon a Time

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I thought I'd give this show a try. I thought it might owe something to Bill Willingham's Fables, and it does, but not enough to be offensive. The idea here is that the fairy-tale characters have all been removed from their land to a place called Storybrooke, Maine, by a curse laid on by the Evil Queen. Time stands still there, or at least nearly still. The arrival of Emma Swan, the child of Snow White and Prince Charming, seems to have changed that. None of the characters can remember anything about the lives in fairyland, but one of them, Henry, the child of Emma, knows what's what. However, he's not living with Emma, who gave him up for adoption. He's "mother" is the Evil Queen, who's now the mayor of Storybrooke. Sounds complicated, but it's not. It's kind of fun, and it looks great in HD. I'll watch a few more episodes, at least.

4 comments:

Kelly Robinson said...

Hmmm. Maybe. I'm wary of getting into new shows, because everything I really like is canceled abruptly. (The Good Guys, The Unusuals...I could go on forever.)

Todd Mason said...

The degree to which the Disneyfied versions of the characters are on display on the Disney network's series, and how haphazardly the likes of Collodi's characters are mixed in with the Grimm folkloric ones is a bit offputting, despite a fine cast.

Unknown said...

I was a little jarred by the Colloidi characters, but I got used to the idea. Fairyland is populated by anybody Disney made a movie about, I guess.

Gerard said...

You are a little copycat, having ripped off a couple of other ignorant "reviews" of this really fine novel..oh wait, wrong post, I'm sure it's a wonderful show. Please continue.