Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hell & Gone -- Duane Swierczynski

This is the second book in the Charlie Hardie trilogy. There's a Prologue, and then the action picks up pretty much where the Fun & Games left off. Charlie, as you'll recall was about to be spirited away in an ambulance, destination unknown.

Now we learn the destination: an underground prison, where Charlie is told that he's the new warden. Never mind the fact that he can't walk without a cane and that one of his arms is nearly useless. He's supposed to take over. That's about all I can say without telling more than you should know when you start reading the book, except that as in the previous tale, it's just one damned thing after another.

If you read my review of Fun & Games and committed it to memory, as I'm sure many of you did, you'll recall that I said that Swierczynski writes books with "outrageous premises that in his hands become (almost) believable." This one is no exception, and it appears that the final book in the trilogy, Point & Shoot will more of the same.

If you like books with kittens and settings like knitting-supply stores, this series isn't for you. But if you're looking for wildly entertaining comic-book action in novel form, you can't go wrong.

4 comments:

Scott Cupp said...

Loved FUN AND GAMES and pretty much everything else Duane has written, so this has my name written all over it.

Unknown said...

See you at 'DilloCon.

Anonymous said...

What Scott said, except I haven't read FUN AND GAMES yet. I guess I better get to that one first, as soon as I read the new one by some guy named Crider.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Love his books. Am so relieved to reread that sentence and see he isn't really writing about kittens and "knitting-supply stores" now. Yikes! (Yes, I need new glasses.)
Michel