Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dr Pepper Update

The Associated Press: Sugar makes Dr Pepper special from Dublin, Texas: "Tens of thousands of people trek to tiny Dublin in north-central Texas each year to buy cases of the nation's third most popular soft drink from a bottling company that uses real sugar in its flagship product. No high fructose corn syrup in sight.

It's been that way since 1891, when Dublin Bottling Works became the world's first bottler of soda pop and the first to distribute the fruit- and berry-flavored carbonated drink that had debuted six years earlier at Wade Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in downtown Waco, about 80 miles to the east."

Hat tip to Scott Cupp.

I've plugged Dublin Dr Pepper in the Sheriff Rhodes novels several times. You'd think they'd send me a free case, but nooooooooo.

11 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

Ah, to worship at the shrine. I love DP.

Jerry House said...

You deserve a lifetime supply.

Anonymous said...

I guess you'll just have to open the vault and buy some, Bill.


Jeff

Deb said...

I think Dave Robicheaux in the James Lee Burke books drinks Dr. Pepper too--but I don't remember a reference to Dublin, TX.

Evan Lewis said...

Yeah, Dr. P is great, but my favorite Texas soda pop is BIG RED.

Stephen B. said...

Yep, they should send a case on!

I've actually seen these, but I'll have to look around - it's a pricey purchase.

Cokes (from Mexico) have cane sugar but they use the HFCS with that...

Steve

Scott D. Parker said...

Ahh, the elixir. While I don't necessarily get *Dublin* DP, I do buy the sugar version bottled in Temple from various stores around Houston. I basically don't drink the current DP unless the sugar DP is not available.

Cap'n Bob said...

Guess I have nothing to say, being a drinker of caffiene free Diet Pepsi in the 20-ounce bottles. But you ought to get a free case, Bill. Maybe if you sent them a book.

Unknown said...

What? You mean they might not be reading my books?

Lake Mills Library said...

I've thought of ordering from there before but adding in the shipping charge on two cases of cans doubles the price.

Stephen B said...

Actually I see a green box for 'DR. PEPPER - Made With Cane Sugar' the videos posted of kitties and "When hell cats attack" with your kitties in may of 2016.

So we have both tried and enjoyed the cane sugar Dr. Pepper. Cats, too, indeed ... an internet sensation!