Saturday, March 07, 2009

Latest Acquisition

Today I was browsing the Clearance shelves at Half-Price Books, and I saw the two enormous volumes of Leslie Klinger's Annotated Sherlock Holmes. I've owned the William Baring-Gould edition for many years, and I certainly didn't need another edition. Also, there's simply no room for those hefty books on my shelves. But I couldn't resist sneaking a peek at the price tag. $3.00 each. Wow. That's like giving them away. A friend was with me. I tried to convince him to buy them. No dice. I walked away. I walked back. I hefted the books again. Very heavy, very big. No room. $3.00. Why go on? You know what happened. I sure hope I can find a spot for them somewhere.

7 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Make 'em a prize, maybe for best Hilton v. crocodilian story. Hilton + crocodilian?

Rick Klaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick Klaw said...

WOW! That is a steal. Clearly they don't know what they're doing. Good thing for you that I wasn't working there.

Rie Sheridan Rose said...

Well, I might be able to find room for them for you, Bill...

Unknown said...

I think I'll keep 'em, Todd.

I had a feeling others might have room for them, Rie.

Rick, I know you'd never had let them get into the Clearance section. Sometimes I wonder how they decide. I think at some stores it's just random.

Aubrey Hamilton said...

Oohh, I'd never let them stay in that store either, where they were clearly misunderstood and unappreciated. It was your DUTY to give those books a good home.....

Bill Peschel said...

Book buy of the year. Unfortunately, all of them in PA seem to be huddled around Pittsburgh.