Saturday, February 04, 2006

Letters, We Get Letters

Yesterday I got a couple of letters from a friend of mine. They didn't arrive in the mail, and he didn't write them. I wrote them back in 1960 and 1961 when I was in college. (He has several others that he claims to be saving for blackmail purposes.) As you can see, there were no ZIP codes in those days, and postage was four cents. A long time gone.

So what did I talk about in those letters? Girls, books, and movies. I haven't changed much. Somewhere along the line I was supposed to grow up, but I'm afraid it didn't happen. Now it's too late.

Here's a sample movie review: "The only movie I've seen lately is The Wackiest Ship in the Army, and it was pretty lousy."

Here's a sample book review: "I've just finished reading Day Keene's World without Women. You've got to get it."

The scary thing about reading those letters was how easily I could slip right back into that time. The years just dropped away. I know I can't go back, but it's nice to have the memories.

5 comments:

Banjo Jones said...

I thought "Wackiest Ship in the Army" was hilarious. Of course, I was about 7 years old then. Still, to this day, I maintain it was highly underrated by the so-called critics.

Unknown said...

Well, what can I say? I was a smart-ass college guy, and a big Ricky Nelson fan. Maybe I was disappointed in his performance.

Unknown said...

Hey, Allan. I'm certain that's my copy you have. I probably let you borrow it!

Unknown said...

I remember, all right. And I don't have those issues. I should have known where they were.

Unknown said...

Hardly seems fair.