Friday, February 10, 2006

Good Grief! I Wrote FanFic!

A while back I mentioned some letters I wrote over 40 years ago. A friend had sent me a couple of them, and today he sent me the rest. I now have a total of 33 letters and two postcards that I wrote to him when I was in college. (Naturally I didn't keep his replies.) Among the many things I didn't remember was that I wrote fanfic in one of the letters: "As I raced across the ochre sea-bottoms of Barsoom, the dying planet, astride my thoat, followed closely by the faithful Woola, I remembered the many times that my sword had drunk blood and sliced bodies to the greater glory of my planet. I thought of Tars Tarkus, Kantos Kan, Cathoris, my son, and the incomprable Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, my wife. The red mist, remnant of the fighting blood of my Virginia ancestors, swirled before my eyes, as I thought of being slain by the horrible Drefgs."

The Drefgs were my own invention, and the passage mercifully ends right there. As far as I know it's the only fanfic I ever wrote, but I'm not swearing to that.

4 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

For God's sake don't tell Lee Goldberg.

Unknown said...

Mum's the word.

JD Rhoades said...

Not me.

*looks innocent*

Anonymous said...

One of the commentators here even writes fantasyland fanfic heroic sagas about himself on his blog...hint, it ain't JD nor Bill.