Friday, July 29, 2016

FFB: Dead Horse -- Walter Satterthwait

Summertime is rerun time, USA.  This one's from December 29, 2006.

Raoul Whitfield is known to many of us as one of the Black Mask boys, author of classics like Green Ice and Death in a Bowl. He was at one time the most highly paid mystery writer in the U.S.

In 1935, however, his writing career was not going well, and his wife died under mysterious circumstances. How mysterious? Well, that's what Dead Horse is all about. Was her death suicide, as it was declared to be, or was it something more sinister? That's the question that Walter Satterthwait tackles in this novel, with his usual panache.

Fine writing, tricky plotting, great characters, meticulous research: those are the things you expect in a Satterthwait novel, and Walter delivers in spades. You don't want to miss this one. Check it out.

8 comments:

Todd Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Todd Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff Meyerson said...

Man. Somehow I missed both the book and your review of it. I've liked all of his that I've read and like Whitfield as well, so this is going on my list for sure.

Richard Moore said...

You introduced me to Walter at a Bouchercon a decade or so ago and I seem to recall him mentioning his upcoming novel based on the mystery involving Whitfield's wife. I loved his Santa Fe novels featuring Joshua Croft but somehow never followed up on this one. And Whitfield is one of my favorite Black Mask writers. I even stole his last name for my lead character in a novel or two. Thanks for the repeat review, as I just ordered a copy.

Todd Mason said...

Yow. Both a proper distance, and close to home...I've needed to try Satterthwait, and this might be the one.

Jeff Meyerson said...

His Croft books were good, as was his collection of short stories (published by Crippen & Landru).

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Once again an author and book I have never heard of. Hard to be young around so many elderly folks. :)

Todd Mason said...

Wish you were kidding. All the way, I mean.