Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Overlooked Movies: Clue

I played Clue, the board game, when I was a kid and even when I was an adult.  I had fun doing it, and when I heard they were making a movie based on the game, I thought that would be fun, too.  After I saw the cast list, I thought it would be more than fun.  I thought it would be great.  It wasn't.  Or at least it wasn't for me.  I thought it was pretty awful.  I thought the entire cast appeared to be laboring under some tremendous strain, looking for laughs that just weren't there.  I was disappointed in the whole enterprise.

The big publicity gimmick for the release was that the movie had three endings.  If you saw it in one theater, you saw one of them.  A nearby theater showed another.  And so on.  I don't remember which ending I saw, but by the time the movie ended, I didn't much care.  It just didn't work for me.    Apparently it worked for some people, however.  Here's a really long article that explains what a wonderful movie it is: "Something Terrible Has Happened Here": The Crazy Story Of How "Clue" Went From Forgotten Flop To Cult Triumph.

And if you're really interested, here's even more about it: Movie Trivia: Clue.

As you can see, this must be a case of "it's not you; it's me."  Which is fine.  Just don't ask me to watch the movie again so I can really appreciate it.  For me, once was enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, it's not just you - CLUE sucked, big time. I was looking forward to it too and could barely sit through it. I find most of these "all-star" "comedy" "laugh riot" movies just don't work for me, but this was particularly bad. Everyone seemed to be laboring way too hard and it showed.

Jeff

Graham Powell said...

I have to agree. Just a mess. Full of bits that walk and talk like jokes, but just are not funny at all.

mybillcrider said...

Good to know I'm not alone!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Me, too. Especially the varied endings. A game must have a definite ending.