Sunday, September 09, 2012

I Found a Penny in the Street Last Week

Woman Finds Renoir Original at Flea Market: The flea market box lot was less than $50, and the buyer picked it up mostly for the Paul Bunyan doll it contained. But it turns out the box lot also contained an original painting by Renoir that could fetch up to $100,000 in an auction at the end of the month, reports the New York Times. The 5.5-inch-by-9-inch painting of the Seine riverside is believed to be Renoir's Paysage Bords de Seine. It was bought from a French gallery in 1925 and later sold to a Maryland collector, but art historians aren't sure when or how it disappeared.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

How nice that would be.

fourth attempt to get the right captcha phrase

Deb said...

One thing I've noticed about those verification phrases is it doesn't seem to matter what numbers you put in as long as you get the letters right. I have a hard time reading those numbers, especially if I'm trying to post using my phone and I'm often absolutely winging it with numbers--and yet as long as I get the letters right (not always an easy task, especially when the dreaded auto-correct kicks in) , my comment posts.