Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Forgotten Films: The Sword and the Sorcerer

Here's another bit of nostalgia on my part. The Sword and the Sorcerer was the first movie I ever rented. This was back in the days when you had to pay a membership fee and join a "club" to rent VHS tapes. Some of you oldsters might remember this long-ago time, when we'd sit around in our caves and watch films on tiny 32-inch screens. Good times, good times.

It's a standard fantasy revenge tale. As a youth the hero, Talon (Lee Horsley, who I liked a good bit as Archie Goodwin), sees his father and mother killed, and he's to be their avenger, carrying his father's three-bladed sword. Maybe it's just the nostalgia factor, but I think the movie's a good bit better than average. Horsely's a fine warrior, and there are some brutal and exciting scenes. If you haven't seen it, check it out and see what you think.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to Lee Horsley? Or the statuesque Kathleen Beller, for that matter? She had a very hot topless scene in the classic THE BETSY as I fondly recall.

*gets back on the geezer bus*

Jeff

Jerry House said...

My wife knows Horsley only as the "Belt Buckle Guy", from the opening credits of Matt Houston.

James Reasoner said...

The first movie we ever rented was SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER. Had to go to the Fotomat (remember Fotomats? Well, they were also some of the first video rental places), order it one day, go back and pick it up two days later. Played it on our first VCR, which was about the same size and weight as a Chrysler's dashboard. Good times indeed.

James Reasoner said...

By the way, I thought Horsley was pretty good as Archie, too.

Unknown said...

And double by the way, you probably remember my first VCR as well as I do, since you delivered it to us in Brownwood. Those were the days.

lastromantic49 said...

Ditto on Horsley as Archie, he was a good one. I didn't see Matt Houston very much for some reason, but it seemed good. I did enjoy Sword and the Sorcerer, I think I still have a VHS of it somewhere. Overall it was good, though it seemed kind of patched together in spots, sort of like Xena.
My favorite quote from S and S: "That's a small threat!"

Jeff Swindoll said...

It took 28 years, but there's a sequel supposedly done. Not on DVD in the US yet. Horsley is in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_an_Ancient_Empire

Unknown said...

Now there's some good news!

Wallace Stroby said...

It had an excellent score as well, by David Whitaker, much in the vein of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. I still have the Varese Sarabande LP.

Gerard said...

Was this the flick where the three bladed sword can shoot the two side blades?

Unknown said...

This is the one.