Monday, July 27, 2009

Dope Menace -- Stephen J. Gertz

I'm getting around to this a little late, so you probably own Dope Menace already. If you don't, you should get yourself a copy as soon as you can. That is, you should if you love old paperback covers as much as I do. Sure, there's text, and it's good text, too, well-researched text. Interesting and entertaining text. But you might as well admit it. What you really want to see is covers of books like or Home is the Humper or Narco Nympho. If you're like me, you'll wish you owned them. I have some wonderful stuff, but there's always more. For now, though, I'm happy just to page through the wonderfully reproduced covers here. I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

7 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Happy Birthday to you. Hat tip to George.

jj solari said...

home is the humper. that's the funniest thing i ever heard. HAHAHAHAHA that's effing legendary.

jj solari said...

i've seen a ton o' heroin addicts. never seen one that looked or dressed like THAT babe. HAHAHAHAHA.
Now THAT would make a great cover: the REAL version of that little tableau. But nobody would want to look at it. and that never helps book sales. in fact it's kind of interesting: this cover makes heroin addiction look pretty great!!!

Rick Robinson said...

I wonder who the artist is on that one, Bill. Do you know? Could this be the work of Kelly Freas? The technique sure looks like some of his work.

Unknown said...

Heade, I think.

Anonymous said...

Heade it is. Originally the cover for Vice Rackets of Soho.

And Happy Birthday, by the way!

Art Scott

Cap'n Bob said...

Happy 39th, Bill. Many returns of the day.