Monday, July 11, 2005

Big Al Downing, R.I.P.

Singer 'Big' Al Downing Dead at Age 65 - Yahoo! News: "NASHVILLE, Tenn. - 'Big' Al Downing, a singer-songwriter and pianist who had success in country, rockabilly, rhythm and blues, rock 'n' roll and even disco, has died after suffering from leukemia. He was 65."

When I saw this news, I was immediately transported back to 1959, when Big Al released his version of "When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again." I loved that song when Elvis did it, and I loved Big Al's version. I might be the only person in the country who remembers Big Al for that song, but I thought it was great. I'm sorry to hear he's gone.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Wow...don't know how I could have missed this one. I, of course, remember Big Al for his country career: "Mr. Jones," "The Story Behind the Story" and his biggest hit "Touch Me (and I'll Be Your Fool Once More)." This last one was covered by Tom Jones in 1983 and while he had a bigger hit with it than Big Al, he couldn't quite touch the original.