Sunday, October 31, 2004


I'd been looking for this book for many years. I'm not sure Falcon Books were very well distributed in Texas, since I've run across very few of them, and I'd probably never have found this one if it hadn't been for eBay. Sure, the book was reprinted by Fawcett Crest in a slightly revised version as SO NUDE, SO DEAD, but I wanted the Falcon. Now I have it, even if it isn't signed, like Richard Moore's copy. I've even read it. It's told from the point of view of a heroin addict who wakes up one morning with a beautiful dead blonde babe in his bed. Not exactly an original idea, except for the addict part. He has to fight his addiction while trying to find the killer. There's a lot of brutality in the book, mostly torture and beatings, and a lot of sex. Ray Stone might be an addict, but he's pretty much irresistible to women. There's some awkward writing. ("Ray," she hissed. "Now!") But the story moves right along, and there's even a mention of Hunter College, which may or may not have been the inspiration for Evan Hunter's last name. Not a great novel, and no fan of Mickey Spillane's will be surprised by the ending, but I'm still glad I finally got my hands on a copy. Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Congrats on finding this rare gem. I was under the impression that you had every desirable paperback ever printed, and a heck of a lot of undesireable ones, too.

As for waking up and finding a beautiful blonde dead in my bed, I have to say it was never one of my fantasies.

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

but I wanted the FalconIf I may paraphrase Mr. Cairo: "Might I remind you Mr. Crider, that you may have the Falcon, but we certainly have you."

Mystery Dawg said...

Bill,
Where do you find these books? Between, James R. Lee Goldberg and you, I'm gonna go broke tracting down these titles. I'm hooked and I can't stop. Is there a pulp paperback book self-help center????