Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans Day

Veterans Day - November 11 - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs: The Veterans Day National Ceremony is held each year on November 11th at Arlington National Cemetery . The ceremony commences precisely at 11:00 a.m. with a wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns and continues inside the Memorial Amphitheater with a parade of colors by veterans' organizations and remarks from dignitaries. The ceremony is intended to honor and thank all who served in the United States Armed Forces.

I was a tad too old to be of interest to the draft board during the Vietnam era, but my younger brother wasn't.  He served a tour in Vietnam and remained in the Reserves for many years thereafter. Thanks for your service, Bob.

8 comments:

Tom Johnson said...

Our local museum is having a "Meet The Veteran" this morning before Flag ceremony, but with the cold temps and wind I may not get out. I usually show up every year, and kind of hate missing it this year.

George said...

Thanks to your brother and veterans like him we have freedom most countries don't.

Anonymous said...

What George said. And also, love the cool glasses!

I got #230 in the first draft lottery. My brother drew #12.

Trust me, they didn't want him.

Jeff

Unknown said...

Those glasses look like the ones I wore at the time. I was too old to worry about the draft lottery. I don't even know what my number was.

Unknown said...

I should mention that Bob volunteered.

Anonymous said...

You were indeed too old.

It was only for those of us born during the years 1944-1950.

Jeff

Unknown said...

My number was 167.

Cap'n Bob said...

We had a guy in AIT that was 35, married with children, and a Chicago fireman. Someone on his draft board hated him, apparently.