Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Coming in November from Stark House

A triple-decker with three of Peter Rabe's excellent Daniel Port novels.  You can't go wrong with this one, but then that's par for the course with Stark House books.  As you can see, the cover says this is "Daniel Port Omnibus 1," so that must mean there'll be another one.  Definitely something to look forward to.  You can order it at this link.

As a bonus, Rick Ollerman provides a fine introduction to the volume and also has some things to say about Rabe's spy novels with Manny DeWitt.  

A long time ago, I wrote about Rabe for Twentieth Century Crime & Mystery Writers, and I'm quoted on the back cover of this volume.  I haven't changed my opinion.  

7 comments:

Rick Ollerman said...

You mean I could have just used your piece from "Twentieth Century Crime & Mystery Writers"? I knew I was doing it wrong. Doing something new is so much harder. Thank you for the mention.

Unknown said...

I like your piece better.

George said...

I pre-ordered this book. Stark House is my favorite publisher!

David Cranmer said...

Oh, very nice! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Unknown said...

Stark House does great work. They've brought back some of the greats and done some fine originals, too.

Ed Gorman said...

There's a quote on the back of the book that maybe Rabe's criminal tough guy is more believable than Westlake's Parker. I'm halfway through the second novel in the book The Out Is Death and now I think this just might be the case. The Parker books are great but Rabe's tormented Daniel Port has more depth. Westlake always credited Rabe as one of his influences and you can certainly see it in these books. Though he was not fond of the Port books. I wonder if he thought Port was too weak as a character. In The Out Is Death Port helps out a heartbroken and terrified old professional safe cracker and does so at a risk to his life and for no renumeration at all.

Unknown said...

It's been a long time since I read these. Probably time to read them again.