Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Joe South, R. I. P.

Oldies Music -- News: Songwriter and singer Joe, South-- who wrote Lynn Anderson’s hit, “Rose Garden” and sang “Games People Play”-- died Wednesday (September 5). The Atlanta native was 72. Born Joseph Souter, Joe was still a teenager when he began songwriting, joining Bill Lowery’s Atlanta publishing company and playing guitar for NRC Records’ house band. . . . . It was 1969’s “Games People Play” (#12) that brought him recording success, followed with “Don’t It Make You Want To Go Home” (#41-1969) and “Walk A Mile In My Shoes” (#12-1970). 

1 comment:

Deb said...

I think he also wrote "Hush" which was a big hit for Deep Purple.

I loved "Walk A Mile in My Shoes"--a song with an obvious message, perhaps, but it seemed eye-opening when I was 13 years old.