Saturday, August 27, 2011

Turn Right at Machu Picchu --Mark Adams

I can't remember where I heard about this book, but when I did, I knew I wanted to read it. Mark Adams, who was once and editor at an adventure travel magazine, decided to retrace the footsteps of Hiram Bingham, the man who made Machu Picchu famous. This is the story of his journey, and a second one on the Inca Trail.

Bingham's reputation has suffered greatly in the 100 years since he first set eyes on Machu Picchu, and while Adams isn't trying to rehab that reputation, he does present a balanced picture of Bingham's accomplishments without glossing over his shortcomings. Of course, for me the more interesting part of the book was Adams' own travels, which were considerably more rugged than mine when I visited Machu Picchu a few years ago. I was a mere tourist, whereas Adams was a first-time adventurer. He and his guide, John Leviers, travel some wonderfully interesting but too-tough-for-me terrain.

Adams is funny as well as insightful about Peru and its history. This is a highly entertaining book for anybody and especially for someone who's been to Peru or is planning to go someday. Check it out.

No comments: