Wednesday, August 03, 2011

The Butcher's Son: Pulpsmith #1 -- Moses Crawford

It's 1935, and a pulp writer whose dream is to appear in Black Mask magazine manages to pull a Castle and get hooked up with big Jim McLane, New York's top homicide cop, in hopes of getting the kind of experience and story material that will help him crack his dream market. Lots of period references for fans of the pulps, OTR, and movies, plus a neat plot and a fast-moving story. I had a great time reading this.

Amazon.com: THE BUTCHER'S SON (Pulpsmith) eBook: Moses Crawford: Kindle Store: "When I moved from Texas to New York to take my chances as a yarnspinner for the pulps, I knew I was entering into a whole new world. As the author of the LINCOLN LANDRY, SPACE RANGER tales for the science fiction pulps, I know a thing or two about new worlds.

But what I wanted most of all was to get a story in BLACK MASK magazine, the same pulp that launched the careers of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett, to name a few.

In order to do that, I pulled in a few favors. Who knew the chief of police was a Lincoln Landry fan? Once I found out, though, I had him hook me up with his best homicide detective: Jim McLane, a tough no-nonsense cop that Hammett and Chandler might have admired.

Together, McLane and I sort through murders in the Big Apple in 1935. I didn't know I was going to learn so much, or that the price would be so high. But between McLane and me, we generally get to the bottom of murder, blackmail, and kidnappings."

No comments: