Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hard Bargain -- Emmylou Harris

Back in 1975 when I bought an LP called Elite Hotel, I fell for Emmylou Harris's voice. I never imagined that all these years later I'd be listening to a new album by her, but here I am, and believe me, the voice is still just as wonderful to hear as ever. One of the striking things about Harris's career is how consistent she's been. She knows how to pick a song, she knows how to sing it, she knows how to put it across.

Harris is known as a interpreter of other people's songs, but on this album, most of the songs are her own, which is a good thing because she's also a fine songwriter. I can't pick a favorite yet. They're all too good. I'm looking forward to many more.

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I so agree, Bill. I've enjoyed that voice for years and Hard Bargain is excellent. Some of my favorite music is her duets with Gram Parsons.

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with Emmylou.

Jeff

Unknown said...

How true.

Bud said...

Ditto!