Sunday, March 27, 2011

Not a Paperback



















A bit of an explanation might be in order here. As I've said before, I'm always interested tracing the origins of my interest in science fiction and fantasy. I've mentioned Destination Moon, and now it's John Carter time. The public library in Mexia, Texas, did not, as far as I know, have any books by Edgar Rice Burroughs on its shelves. The Tarzan books that I read were G&D editions handed down to me by my cousins (yes, I still have them). My cousins didn't read John Carter, however, and I discovered him in comic books.

I was 11 years old, I believe, when I saw this Dell comic on the stands. How could I possibly resist? I checked the other day, and I learned that the series lasted for only three issues. This one's an adaptation of The Warlord of Mars, and you can read it here. I wanted an actual copy, just for fun, but they're somewhat pricey. I managed to find one that's about to fall apart. It was on eBay, and it was cheap, so I nabbed it. And I'm glad I did. I don't remember the front cover, but when I saw the back cover, I was instantly transported back to 1952. Wow. Great stuff. And when I opened the book I instantly recognized Dejah Thoris' interesting hairstyle. Wonderful stuff. So pardon me while I go wallow in nostalgia for an hour or so.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize this is a sign of age, Bill?

Of course you do.

*warms up the geezer bus*

Jeff

Evan Lewis said...

Cool.

Scott Cupp said...

The three issues of the title were collected into a hardcover volume recently and are available through the various outlets and through the Science Fiction Book Club.

Charles Gramlich said...

I have a copy of the SF book club version. I have to say as an adult the writing is pretty bad but I bet I'd have loved it as a kid if I'd seen it. I'm doing a little nostalgia bit for another book myself right now.

Unknown said...

Scott, I didn't know about that collection.

Gotta admit you're right about the writing, Charles, but I need to see about getting that volume.

Seepy Benton said...

As a child, I marveled just as much at the cover art for Tarzan, Pellucidar, and John Carter as I did at the stories contained inside.

Unknown said...

Okay, I've ordered a copy.

Fred Blosser said...

Dell reprinted the comic in 1964, when the Ace and Ballantine paperbacks were fueling the '60s ERB revival. I used to have the 1964 issues, now long since gone in one of my many moves since then.

George said...

Anything that can take you back to 1952 and capture that happiness is priceless.