Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Don Kirshner, R. I. P.

Don Kirshner, Rock Producer and Promoter, Dies at 76 - NYTimes.com: "Don Kirshner, who guided the course of Brill Building and bubblegum pop in the 1950s and ’60s as a music publisher and promoter, and later served as an Ed Sullivan for 1970s artists like Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Kiss and the Ramones with his weekly program “Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert” on television, died on Monday in Boca Raton, Fla. He was 76. The cause was heart failure."

Hat tip to Jeff Meyerson.

2 comments:

ShellyS said...

That's too bad. I loved Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Whenever I think of him, I think of Paul Shafer doing his impression of him on Saturday Night Live.

Deb said...

I loved Don Kirshner's Rock Concert as a teenager. As soon as the TV Guide came in the mail, I'd tear to the Friday line-up and find out what groups were going to be on that week. If it was someone my friends and I really liked, we'd have a sleepover to watch it together. Ah, memories. R.I.P. Don.