Friday, October 01, 2010

Stephen J. Cannell, R. I. P.

'A-Team,' '21 Jump Street' Producer Stephen J. Cannell Passes Away: "Stephen J. Cannell, the producer of iconic television shows such as 'The A-Team,' '21 Jump Street' and 'The Rockford Files' has died. He was 69.

Cannell's family tells ET, 'Stephen J. Cannell passed away at his home in Pasadena on Thursday evening due to complications associated with melanoma. He was surrounded by his family and loved ones.
[. . . .]
The prolific Emmy-winning producer was also the author of 16 novels. Having overcome dyslexia, he was a spokesperson on the condition and advocated on behalf of those with learning disabilities."

7 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I grew up on his shows. 69 is way young. R.I.P.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a shock. Saw him fairly recently playing himself on an episode of Castle and he looked fine.

Bummer.

Jeff

Jerry House said...

Sad news.

moni said...

I loved all the shows he produced and enjoyed looking for him playing roles on Rockford. Melanoma is no fun, now he is no longer suffering.

Cap'n Bob said...

Rockford, si. A-Team, no. Sorry to lose him.

Max Allan Collins said...

I didn't have much use for the A-Team and his later series, but early on he was the best -- ROCKFORD, RICHIE BROCKELMAN, CITY OF ANGELS, TENSPEED AND BROWNSHOE. He is one of my heroes, and I have an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I never met him, though I sent him a poster of the CITY OF ANGELS feature film (released overseas) that he was kind enough to sign to me. Precious before, priceless now.

Elizabeth Foxwell said...

_The Greatest American Hero_ is one of his, too. Saw him once on a Bcon panel (I think with Ron Goulart, if memory serves) where his dyslexia was mentioned, as well as his fondness for IBM Selectrics.