Saturday, October 30, 2010

Daoma Winston

On her blog the other day, Christa Faust mentioned that she'd picked up a copy of The Woman he Wanted at Kayo Books while in San Francisco at Bouchercon. I was reminded that the author of that book, Daoma Winston, was at the first Bouchercon I attended in Washington, D. C., back in 1980. By that time Winston had become fairly well known as a writer of gothics and other novels of romantic suspense, and she wasn't too pleased when I brought out my copy of The Woman he Wanted and asked her to sign it. However, after she recovered from her surprise at seeing the book, she did sign it. I may be the only person in the country who has a signed copy, not that very many people would even want to have one. Winston wrote at least two books for Beacon, though neither is included in her bibliography at the FantasticFiction site. Maybe Winston would have preferred that they be forgotten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like it when authors try and disown their early work (see Alan Furst, for example).

I'm sure you remember when we mobbed David ("Sean Flannery") Hagberg at a Bouchercon to tell him how much we loved his Croc (as by "David James"). Once he got over the shock he was quite gracious.

Jeff

Unknown said...

I think that was at the first Milwaukee B'con. It was great to meet him and talk about his classic work.