Monday, July 19, 2010

The Name Game

@askthenamelady - Articles and Posts from ParentDish: "The #1 fastest rising girl's name is Tenley, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Kinley, Tinsley and Kinsley also made the top 20. Together, they point to a signature sound for the year's baby girls. Also keep an eye out for Everly, which placed two different spellings in the top 20.

For boys, the country's love affair with '-n' names is set to continue. More than half of the hottest rising boy's names end in that super-popular letter. Look for a fresh crop of surname names, too, especially luxurious ones like Sterling, St. John and Bentley."

Hat tip to Jeff Meyerson.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe someone would really name their child Sookie, but I guess they do.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I can't believe someone would really name their child Sookie, but I guess they do.

Jeff

Unknown said...

Beats "Snooki."

Cap'n Bob said...

Already I want to beat these kids up.

Graham Powell said...

I guess I'm old fashioned. My kids' names: Joseph, Anne, and Sean.

Well, I guess that last one is technically an "N" name.

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

The only kids you name "Everly" should have either a "Phil" or "Don" in front of it.

Deb said...

What about the tendency to give Irish surnames to girls. I know a Tierney, two Reillys, and several girls with various spellings of MacKenzie. To me, the oddest thing is only one of the girls has an Irish last name.

Karin M said...

Do you think they'll pronounce St. John the Sinjin way?

Unknown said...

Probably not. Be cooler if they did, though.