Tuesday, May 04, 2010

A Great Baseball Story

Richard Justice: Negro Leaguer has a 'uniquely American life' | Richard Justice: Columnist | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle: "When it became clear that baseball’s color line was going to be broken, Negro League owners were in agreement on one thing.

“They said I’d be the perfect person to do it,’’ Monte Irvin said. “I was easy to get along with. I had a little education. I could play every position. But I went to the Service for three years. When I came back in 1946, I got an ear infection, and it took me awhile to regain my former talent.’’

Irvin is 91 now, living in a Houston retirement community, clear of mind, lively of spirit. He still has the arms, hands and presence of a great athlete. He has no regrets about how it worked out."

No comments: