Tuesday, April 06, 2010

No Comment Department

Man Almost Jailed Over A Penny - News Story - WFTV Orlando: "An Osceola County man thought he’d paid off a parking ticket, so he was surprised to find out Monday that the Orange County Clerk’s office had issued a warrant for his arrest.

Luis Gomez owed exactly one cent on a speeding ticket he received one year ago. Gomez tried to call the court to resolve the problem, and then tried to pay online, but had no luck.

“They won’t take a payment of a penny online,” said Gomez."

2 comments:

Richard R. said...

I once mis-wrote a check when paying my credit card bill, shorting it by 3 cents. Next month I got a $39 late payment fee. Fortunatenly when I called they cancelled it and I paid the next month + 3 cents.

Unknown said...

My mother waged a war for years with a department store that kept billing her for 5 cents. She'd go into the store and point out to them that they'd spent more on the envelope, stamp, and stationery than 5 cents. But she wouldn't pay them. The next month, she'd get another bill. I don't know how long this went on or who gave in, but I wouldn't bet against my mother.